Hi there, I’m Mike! 👋
- 🔭 I’m currently working on big data engineering with Spark on k8s on AWS at iSpot.tv.
- 🌱 I’m focusing on mentoring and coaching my team to improve their skills and release awesome products.
- 🌎 I occasionally write blog posts about software engineering and other topics.
Management and Software Engineering
I consider myself to be a software engineer at heart. Nowadays I’m trying to do less code-writing and more of everything else:
- Reading and learning.
- Writing, writing, and more writing.
- Thinking about design patterns and architecture (how do you scale k8s? what should we be researching?)
- Mentoring and leading a team building products and shipping features
- Hiring (!)
Stuff I’ve Worked On
- Django! My first internship and full-time job was at a startup that was built on top of Django.
- Built an Android app for fun. It was much easier than multiple failed attempts of creating an iOS app.
- Machine Learning. Just scratched the surface. Data cleansing and feature engineering really is 95% of the job.
- Built a CHIP-8 emulator. It plays Pong and that’s pretty much it. Maybe I’ll work on a Gameboy emulator next.
- Spark, Hadoop, Hive. On-prem, on Azure, on GCP, on AWS — you name it. Now we’re running Spark on k8s. Also AWS EC2, EMR, ECS, EKS, Lambda, API Gateway, CodePipeline, VPC, IAM, CloudFormation, and plenty more acronyms.
- Now, I’m an engineering manager, managing a team that does a lot of what I wrote about above!
My wife and I enjoy hiking, biking, traveling, and playing with our Shih Tzu.